HomePortalRules + New Members FAQRegisterLog in

Share | .
 

 Sponsors

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
WantSomeSlaw
Trade Moderator
avatar

Posts : 2574
Join date : 2013-05-14
Age : 17
Location : Under your bed.
Setup : What's a fingerboard?

PostSubject: Re: Sponsors   Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:21 am

We don't want to be dicks, please believe me when I say that.
But this forum, and fingerboarding in general, has been attacked by kids thinking that sponsorships are what makes fingerboarding fun.
Thom made a thread about this, because this has become a nuisance to us, so when a person makes a thread about sponsorships, it shows that they haven't taken a look around the forum. When someone just comes on the forum and posts without looking around at the rules/stickies, it shows a little immaturity. (Immaturity isn't the right word, I just can't think of anything else atm)
People are only posting like this because posts like this are very common here, and they are usually made by kids who haven't been fingerboarding long and think that sponsorships are the most important thing in fingerboarding.

_________________
Shit could be worse
http://www.youtube.com/user/WantSomeSlaw
Instagram: wantsomeslawfb
Back to top Go down
milk
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
avatar

Posts : 342
Join date : 2014-06-02
Location : nj
Setup : califingers
creamy goo
tdlb
oak wheels

PostSubject: Re: Sponsors   Fri Jun 27, 2014 2:55 am

HightekFB wrote:
milk wrote:
kThumb wrote:
milk wrote:
Sorry for the rant, I'm just very disappointed with this community and thought it could have been better than what it is.

It's just because of the topic, propably everyone is sick of it. I also don't understand why Kids are so hyped about getting a sponsor, it sometimes seems like they think FBing a proper job or something.
Imo the FBHQ community is helpful and patient in any other case, especially compared to other forums.

Regarding videos: i can only speak for myself, but maybe that also applies to others - i don't have the time to watch every video people keep posting all day long. I watch maybe 2-3 vids and spend the rest of the time with FBing. You can't judge anyone if he prefers to watch videos from ppl he knows.

The videos thing was just an example. But in general, people who post their shitty decks or something get praise just because people know them. No one wants to try out new companies. Everyone here is a fucking woob fanboy and it's like this community doesn't like anything new.

You know why kids want sponsors? Because they want free shit because they don't have the money you have to afford retarded $200 setups. They don't have jobs or anything like that. You can't just start fucking with a little kid because he wants to have fun while fingerboarding. They're most likely not going to get sponsored but give them a damn chance.

And you could say that FBHQ is the most friendly community because there are no other communities as active as this one. FFI is dead, the reddit community barely gets any posts, and hell, this community only has like 3,000 users which is a tiny amount.

Face it, fingerboarding is dying and everyone here can't accept that.

I honestly just fingerboard while I'm doing other shit on the computer because it's pretty fun, but people take this shit way too fucking seriously. These kids just want to have fun and get into the hobby they love, so why can't you let them do that? Because you're older and fingerboarding has the be the most important thing in your life?

woob fanboys eh? maybe you would be happy if we all jizzed ourselves over milk decks? would that make you happy? Fingerboarding isn't dying, but if kids keep asking for people to sponsor them, then it will. They ruin all the fun that fingerboarding is meant for.. They start fingerboarding and a week later their mom buys them a broken knuckle, so then they think that they can go off spamming people asking them to fucking sponsor them. I don't even have a company and 3 fucking people have asked me to sponsor them. These kids want to show off, they don't give a flying fuck about actually fingerboarding - they just want to look cool because they are sponsored.

first, I don't even sell my decks. Second, you're 13 years old. I wonder where you got that money to buy all those woobs you go insane about -- most likely your parents. You also have to note that these people aren't made of money and get money handed to them -- like you. You clearly are privileged and have all this shit because you have parents who buy it for you. People want sponsors because they don't have that kind of money and cannot afford nice decks and fancy cameras.

_________________
Back to top Go down
WantSomeSlaw
Trade Moderator
avatar

Posts : 2574
Join date : 2013-05-14
Age : 17
Location : Under your bed.
Setup : What's a fingerboard?

PostSubject: Re: Sponsors   Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:01 am

milk wrote:
HightekFB wrote:
milk wrote:
kThumb wrote:
milk wrote:
Sorry for the rant, I'm just very disappointed with this community and thought it could have been better than what it is.

It's just because of the topic, propably everyone is sick of it. I also don't understand why Kids are so hyped about getting a sponsor, it sometimes seems like they think FBing a proper job or something.
Imo the FBHQ community is helpful and patient in any other case, especially compared to other forums.

Regarding videos: i can only speak for myself, but maybe that also applies to others - i don't have the time to watch every video people keep posting all day long. I watch maybe 2-3 vids and spend the rest of the time with FBing. You can't judge anyone if he prefers to watch videos from ppl he knows.

The videos thing was just an example. But in general, people who post their shitty decks or something get praise just because people know them. No one wants to try out new companies. Everyone here is a fucking woob fanboy and it's like this community doesn't like anything new.

You know why kids want sponsors? Because they want free shit because they don't have the money you have to afford retarded $200 setups. They don't have jobs or anything like that. You can't just start fucking with a little kid because he wants to have fun while fingerboarding. They're most likely not going to get sponsored but give them a damn chance.

And you could say that FBHQ is the most friendly community because there are no other communities as active as this one. FFI is dead, the reddit community barely gets any posts, and hell, this community only has like 3,000 users which is a tiny amount.

Face it, fingerboarding is dying and everyone here can't accept that.

I honestly just fingerboard while I'm doing other shit on the computer because it's pretty fun, but people take this shit way too fucking seriously. These kids just want to have fun and get into the hobby they love, so why can't you let them do that? Because you're older and fingerboarding has the be the most important thing in your life?

woob fanboys eh? maybe you would be happy if we all jizzed ourselves over milk decks? would that make you happy? Fingerboarding isn't dying, but if kids keep asking for people to sponsor them, then it will. They ruin all the fun that fingerboarding is meant for.. They start fingerboarding and a week later their mom buys them a broken knuckle, so then they think that they can go off spamming people asking them to fucking sponsor them. I don't even have a company and 3 fucking people have asked me to sponsor them. These kids want to show off, they don't give a flying fuck about actually fingerboarding - they just want to look cool because they are sponsored.

first, I don't even sell my decks. Second, you're 13 years old. I wonder where you got that money to buy all those woobs you go insane about -- most likely your parents. You also have to note that these people aren't made of money and get money handed to them -- like you. You clearly are privileged and have all this shit because you have parents who buy it for you. People want sponsors because they don't have that kind of money and cannot afford nice decks and fancy cameras.
I'm not gonna comment on anything else in that statement, except for what I bolded.
For the most part, that's not true. Sponsorships have become a status symbol. Think about it, lots of kids who get these stupid Instagram/Youtube sponsors usually have a pro setup, and once they get on these amateur companies, they never even use their products. Hell, for the most part these companies just say, "PRODUCTS COMING SOON! SPONSORING NOW!" They just like to say that they are sponsored, because they think cool happy

_________________
Shit could be worse
http://www.youtube.com/user/WantSomeSlaw
Instagram: wantsomeslawfb
Back to top Go down
GunnerBoser
Trade Moderator
avatar

Posts : 3363
Join date : 2012-01-12
Age : 19
Location : Little Falls, Minnesota - USA
Companies : O.G. Decks
Setup : Tech deck flip with super slippy fome tape
Freestyle fb super whels
Hot rod fb trucks wit my bushin I made

PostSubject: Re: Sponsors   Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:02 am

milk wrote:
HightekFB wrote:
milk wrote:
kThumb wrote:
milk wrote:
Sorry for the rant, I'm just very disappointed with this community and thought it could have been better than what it is.

It's just because of the topic, propably everyone is sick of it. I also don't understand why Kids are so hyped about getting a sponsor, it sometimes seems like they think FBing a proper job or something.
Imo the FBHQ community is helpful and patient in any other case, especially compared to other forums.

Regarding videos: i can only speak for myself, but maybe that also applies to others - i don't have the time to watch every video people keep posting all day long. I watch maybe 2-3 vids and spend the rest of the time with FBing. You can't judge anyone if he prefers to watch videos from ppl he knows.

The videos thing was just an example. But in general, people who post their shitty decks or something get praise just because people know them. No one wants to try out new companies. Everyone here is a fucking woob fanboy and it's like this community doesn't like anything new.

You know why kids want sponsors? Because they want free shit because they don't have the money you have to afford retarded $200 setups. They don't have jobs or anything like that. You can't just start fucking with a little kid because he wants to have fun while fingerboarding. They're most likely not going to get sponsored but give them a damn chance.

And you could say that FBHQ is the most friendly community because there are no other communities as active as this one. FFI is dead, the reddit community barely gets any posts, and hell, this community only has like 3,000 users which is a tiny amount.

Face it, fingerboarding is dying and everyone here can't accept that.

I honestly just fingerboard while I'm doing other shit on the computer because it's pretty fun, but people take this shit way too fucking seriously. These kids just want to have fun and get into the hobby they love, so why can't you let them do that? Because you're older and fingerboarding has the be the most important thing in your life?

woob fanboys eh? maybe you would be happy if we all jizzed ourselves over milk decks? would that make you happy? Fingerboarding isn't dying, but if kids keep asking for people to sponsor them, then it will. They ruin all the fun that fingerboarding is meant for.. They start fingerboarding and a week later their mom buys them a broken knuckle, so then they think that they can go off spamming people asking them to fucking sponsor them. I don't even have a company and 3 fucking people have asked me to sponsor them. These kids want to show off, they don't give a flying fuck about actually fingerboarding - they just want to look cool because they are sponsored.

first, I don't even sell my decks. Second, you're 13 years old. I wonder where you got that money to buy all those woobs you go insane about -- most likely your parents. You also have to note that these people aren't made of money and get money handed to them -- like you. You clearly are privileged and have all this shit because you have parents who buy it for you. People want sponsors because they don't have that kind of money and cannot afford nice decks and fancy cameras.

milk: 1

world: 0[/quote]

_________________



Ryan wrote:
"We're havin a little liability issue with the glow sticks....y'all are throwin them and y'all are peggin little kids.."

Click for more
Spoiler:
 

Danny H wrote:
Gunner's eyebrows are genuinely threatening.

Refs: http://www.fingerboardhq.net/t18128-references-for-gunnerboser#279427
Back to top Go down
http://Facebook.com/dances.with.chickens
j peterson
Every Day FBHQer
Every Day FBHQer
avatar

Posts : 862
Join date : 2012-03-27
Age : 69

PostSubject: Re: Sponsors   Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:18 am

milk have you just strayed from trying to defend someone that was in the wrong and never read thoms thread to complaining that your videos dont get views to not having enough money to buy stuff?
edit: and you cant assume where he gets his money to get things at all
Back to top Go down
alexander
Every Day FBHQer
Every Day FBHQer
avatar

Posts : 957
Join date : 2012-11-27

PostSubject: Re: Sponsors   Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:30 am

feel bad for op, this thread turned to shit real quick lol. fb for fun, not for sposnors. you'll get picked up not for just skill, but for personality. befriend people in the scene, be a genuine person and people will eventually ask you to rep their product.

_________________
[02:16:52] kevin : i want "atheist or not, you need a bath" tatted on my chest
[02:44:31] brodyees : hey! I am alex, im a feminist and i love everyone for who they are

refs youtube
@imprintafter
Back to top Go down
GunnerBoser
Trade Moderator
avatar

Posts : 3363
Join date : 2012-01-12
Age : 19
Location : Little Falls, Minnesota - USA
Companies : O.G. Decks
Setup : Tech deck flip with super slippy fome tape
Freestyle fb super whels
Hot rod fb trucks wit my bushin I made

PostSubject: Re: Sponsors   Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:31 am

j peterson wrote:
milk have you just strayed from trying to defend someone that was in the wrong and never read thoms thread to complaining that your videos dont get views to not having enough money to buy stuff?
edit: and you cant assume where he gets his money to get things at all

He wasn't in the wrong lol.
Coming from someone who is pretty YouTube-popular this comment is basically irrelevant. Also, milk wasn't complaining about anything that has to do with him.

_________________



Ryan wrote:
"We're havin a little liability issue with the glow sticks....y'all are throwin them and y'all are peggin little kids.."

Click for more
Spoiler:
 

Danny H wrote:
Gunner's eyebrows are genuinely threatening.

Refs: http://www.fingerboardhq.net/t18128-references-for-gunnerboser#279427
Back to top Go down
http://Facebook.com/dances.with.chickens
JessM
Supporter
Supporter
avatar

Posts : 1269
Join date : 2013-06-07
Age : 21
Location : Jersey
Setup : honeycomb, g6a's, fbs, td wides

PostSubject: Re: Sponsors   Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:44 am

Ok. Ok. I'm gonna start by saying that milk and Simon are the only people in this whole thread that has even been REMOTELY right about anything they are saying. Thank you milk and Simon for having a positive perspective on this.

First, I'll address the kid who made this thread. I completely understand why he made this thread. Face it guys... WE'VE ALL BEEN IN HIS POSITION BEFORE. Probably haven't been fingerboarding too long, just got onto the forum, don't really know too much about the scene. Who's the first person that comes up when you search fingerboarding on youtube? Mike Schneider. What's the first thing a kid fresh into the scene is gonna think when they see a Mike Schneider video? "I wanna be just like him!" Trust me, there's no problem with that. I think there's a part of all of us that wants to be like Mike. He's basically living a fingerboard dream. What's the first thing a new kid who wants to be like Mike Schneider is gonna think is gonna make him like Mike Schneider? Sponsors. It's natural. Sponsors must mean you are a pretty good fingerboarder (for the most part) and every kid new into the scene wants to build a rep for them so they become good enough to get sponsors. Now, this is from the perspective of a kid like the one who made this thread. There is NOTHING wrong with this perspective as it is what someone is usually like when they first enter the fingerboarding scene. I was like this... WE ALL WERE. As time goes on, as you get used to the fingerboarding scene and what it is truly about, we lose this mentality and start fingerboarding for what it truly is... FUN. Fingerboarding is fun, and the kid who made this thread and kids like him will come to realize that. It's all happened to us, we've all come to that realization after thinking that fingerboarding was about sponsors and being "famous" that completely changes our perspective on the scene and how we as individuals fingerboard. It's just part of the process of fingerboarding. It happened to me, hell it happened to Jay, Mike, anyone who's been around for any period of time. So in conclusion, what this kid did by making this thread is completely normal. He's just a young fingerboarder with the perspective on the scene that every young fingerboarder of the past, present, and future will have.

Second, fingerboarding is certainly NOT dying. The online scene is certainly NOT dying. Sure, it's definitely not what it used to be, but fingerboarding in general is also not what it used to be. Why is the online scene not what it used to be? Okay, let me try to explain this as best as I can. Rewind back to about 2006. Meetups... they practically didn't exist. Everyone knew each other online, and maybe, just maybe, if you were lucky enough to live close enough someone to have a meetup with someone you could. Then... Rendezvous happened. Rendezvous changed fingerboarding FOREVER. It started the shift of the fingerboarding scene away from being online driven. Events and meetups started popping up everywhere. And honestly, it was what was best for the fingerboarding scene. Think of how different fingerboarding would be if meetups were what they were 8-10 years ago. For one, a whole hell of a lot less people would be fingerboarding now. A lot of people who got into fingerboarding more recently go into it because they had a friend who went to a meetup and were asked to tag along, saw fingerboarding, got hooked, and it just started a chain reaction. Fingerboarders started popping up everywhere. We now even have people traveling across the world to go to events. When you think about how far the scene has come, it's honestly crazy. So to round this part up, fingerboarding is not dead, it's not dying, and it's not gonna die anytime soon. Fingerboarding is at an all time high and I'm proud of how far the scene has come. Sure, there's gonna be douchebags and assholes wherever you go, but that's just part of it. Just make sure to stay away from stuff like that. There were those kind of people way back when, there are now, and there will always be. It's just natural that there will be a few assholes in a bunch of people who just like to have fun. Just keep in mind how far the scene has come, it's fucking awesome, and seriously crazy to think about. (This is one of the things I disagree with milk on.)

Lastly, this one will be shorter. There's always gonna be groups of friends on in a scene like this. You have your flatface guys, blackriver guys, yellowood guys, etc. This is the second thing I disagree with milk on. This forum is not brought down by "woob fanboys." Yes, there are a lot of fans of woob out there, and sure, like every following, there are some kids who get carried away with whatever it may be, but to blame one group of people for something is kinda lame. Call me a "woob fanboy" for that or whatever you may please, but I just feel it's unfair to pinpoint one group of people for something. That's usually not the case and it's definitely not the case here. Zac is a cool guy and I love what he does with his decks and his company and I give him my support. We're all here to do one thing guys, and that's fingerboard. Sure, there's gonna be people who are more chill with each other, but let's just all be friends here, there's no need to get into pissing matches, it's not fun.

Well that was fun to write... I guess in conclusion, just have fun. JUST. HAVE. FUN. Sponsors are a cool extra, but don't worry too much about them. We've all been where this kid is, so cut him some slack. Keep fingerboarding guys, don't lost sight of what this is all truly about... FUN.

_________________
https://www.youtube.com/user/Manhoagie
http://honeycombfbs.bigcartel.com

[21:11:45] @ JessM : fine i'll just take a nap on the megaramp



Robert wrote:
JessM wrote:
Not even a birtHday thread fOr the god himseLf... DisappointEd iN you all.



You think you're so fucking clever, don't you


Last edited by JessM on Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://youtube.com/Manhoagie
GunnerBoser
Trade Moderator
avatar

Posts : 3363
Join date : 2012-01-12
Age : 19
Location : Little Falls, Minnesota - USA
Companies : O.G. Decks
Setup : Tech deck flip with super slippy fome tape
Freestyle fb super whels
Hot rod fb trucks wit my bushin I made

PostSubject: Re: Sponsors   Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:47 am

TWO FINGERS......





PEACE!

_________________



Ryan wrote:
"We're havin a little liability issue with the glow sticks....y'all are throwin them and y'all are peggin little kids.."

Click for more
Spoiler:
 

Danny H wrote:
Gunner's eyebrows are genuinely threatening.

Refs: http://www.fingerboardhq.net/t18128-references-for-gunnerboser#279427
Back to top Go down
http://Facebook.com/dances.with.chickens
Eric_Best
Council
Council
avatar

Posts : 1347
Join date : 2013-03-20
Age : 21
Location : Mass
Setup : catfishbbq, brts, ff wheels, fbs

PostSubject: Re: Sponsors   Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:54 am

Jess, that should be published.

Back to top Go down
Twest
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
avatar

Posts : 1703
Join date : 2013-01-16
Age : 21
Location : USA
Setup : Main:
-BeastPants
-Brts
-Winklers
-Witchcrafts
-Slim and Catchy



PostSubject: Re: Sponsors   Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:57 am

Jessus wins, bow down to Jessus

_________________
Back to top Go down
milk
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
avatar

Posts : 342
Join date : 2014-06-02
Location : nj
Setup : califingers
creamy goo
tdlb
oak wheels

PostSubject: Re: Sponsors   Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:01 am

JessM wrote:
Ok. Ok. I'm gonna start by saying that milk and Simon are the only people in this whole thread that has even been REMOTELY right about anything they are saying. Thank you milk and Simon for having a positive perspective on this.

First, I'll address the kid who made this thread. I completely understand why he made this thread. Face it guys... WE'VE ALL BEEN IN HIS POSITION BEFORE. Probably haven't been fingerboarding too long, just got onto the forum, don't really know too much about the scene. Who's the first person that comes up when you search fingerboarding on youtube? Mike Schneider. What's the first thing a kid fresh into the scene is gonna think when they see a Mike Schneider video? "I wanna be just like him!" Trust me, there's no problem with that. I think there's a part of all of us that wants to be like Mike. He's basically living a fingerboard dream. What's the first thing a new kid who wants to be like Mike Schneider is gonna think is gonna make him like Mike Schneider? Sponsors. It's natural. Sponsors must mean you are a pretty good fingerboarder (for the most part) and every kid new into the scene wants to build a rep for them so they become good enough to get sponsors. Now, this is from the perspective of a kid like the one who made this thread. There is NOTHING wrong with this perspective as it is what someone is usually like when they first enter the fingerboarding scene. I was like this... WE ALL WERE. As time goes on, as you get used to the fingerboarding scene and what it is truly about, we lose this mentality and start fingerboarding for what it truly is... FUN. Fingerboarding is fun, and the kid who made this thread and kids like him will come to realize that. It's all happened to us, we've all come to that realization after thinking that fingerboarding was about sponsors and being "famous" that completely changes our perspective on the scene and how we as individuals fingerboard. It's just part of the process of fingerboarding. It happened to me, hell it happened to Jay, Mike, anyone who's been around for any period of time. So in conclusion, what this kid did by making this thread is completely normal. He's just a young fingerboarder with the perspective on the scene that every young fingerboarder of the past, present, and future will have.

Second, fingerboarding is certainly NOT dying. The online scene is certainly NOT dying. Sure, it's definitely not what it used to be, but fingerboarding in general is also not what it used to be. Why is the online scene not what it used to be? Okay, let me try to explain this as best as I can. Rewind back to about 2006. Meetups... they practically didn't exist. Everyone knew each other online, and maybe, just maybe, if you were lucky enough to live close enough someone to have a meetup with someone you could. Then... Rendezvous happened. Rendezvous changed fingerboarding FOREVER. It started the shift of the fingerboarding scene away from being online driven. Events and meetups started popping up everywhere. And honestly, it was what was best for the fingerboarding scene. Think of how different fingerboarding would be if meetups were what they were 8-10 years ago. For one, a whole hell of a lot less people would be fingerboarding now. A lot of people who got into fingerboarding more recently go into it because they had a friend who went to a meetup and were asked to tag along, saw fingerboarding, got hooked, and it just started a chain reaction. Fingerboarders started popping up everywhere. We now even have people traveling across the world to go to events. When you think about how far the scene has come, it's honestly crazy. So to round this part up, fingerboarding is not dead, it's not dying, and it's not gonna die anytime soon. Fingerboarding is at an all time high and I'm proud of how far the scene has come. Sure, there's gonna be douchebags and assholes wherever you go, but that's just part of it. Just make sure to stay away from stuff like that. There were those kind of people way back when, there are now, and there will always be. It's just natural that there will be a few assholes in a bunch of people who just like to have fun. Just keep in mind how far the scene has come, it's fucking awesome, and seriously crazy to think about. (This is one of the things I disagree with milk on.)

Lastly, this one will be shorter. There's always gonna be groups of friends on in a scene like this. You have your flatface guys, blackriver guys, yellowood guys, etc. This is the second thing I disagree with milk on. This forum is not brought down by "woob fanboys." Yes, there are a lot of fans of woob out there, and sure, like every following, there are some kids who get carried away with whatever it may be, but to blame one group of people for something is kinda lame. Call me a "woob fanboy" for that or whatever you may please, but I just feel it's unfair to pinpoint one group of people for something. That's usually not the case and it's definitely not the case here. Zac is a cool guy and I love what he does with his decks and his company and I give him my support. We're all here to do one thing guys, and that's fingerboard. Sure, there's gonna be people who are more chill with each other, but let's just all be friends here, there's no need to get into pissing matches, it's not fun.

Well that was fun to write... I guess in conclusion, just have fun. JUST. HAVE. FUN. Sponsors are a cool extra, but don't worry too much about them. We've all been where this kid is, so cut him some slack. Keep fingerboarding guys, don't lost sight of what this is all truly about... FUN.

Wow. I could not agree more. I must say though that I was wrong in feeling that fingerboarding is dying or that people are fanboys. Hell, look at my two setups very happy. You could call me a yellowood fanboy. I'm a bit of a hypocrite and I admit that. However, I do stand by what I said about sponsors and the fact that people want to have sponsors because they are young -- lack of money/desire to become part of the community.

I do whole heartedly take back my stance on the death of fingerboarding (perhaps just in the online world). And admit my hypocrisy on people being fanboys, but people should look at some other companies and try something new happy. Personally I want to try Queens decks, and I might buy one in the future.

Anyways, it does feel good to express my opinions and I don't mean to insult anyone here. It's just been something that's been bugging me since I've joined here.

_________________
Back to top Go down
JessM
Supporter
Supporter
avatar

Posts : 1269
Join date : 2013-06-07
Age : 21
Location : Jersey
Setup : honeycomb, g6a's, fbs, td wides

PostSubject: Re: Sponsors   Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:05 am

Yeah I think you're right with sponsors, it's a natural thing to want as a young fingerboarder, there's nothing wrong with it at all. And trust me you weren't insulting anyone, you were one of the only people who had a level headed view when they posted.

_________________
https://www.youtube.com/user/Manhoagie
http://honeycombfbs.bigcartel.com

[21:11:45] @ JessM : fine i'll just take a nap on the megaramp



Robert wrote:
JessM wrote:
Not even a birtHday thread fOr the god himseLf... DisappointEd iN you all.



You think you're so fucking clever, don't you
Back to top Go down
http://youtube.com/Manhoagie
Ryan
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 3358
Join date : 2011-09-18
Age : 22
Companies : Temple Decks

PostSubject: Re: Sponsors   Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:08 am

milk wrote:
SiCar wrote:
Why are you all being dicks to this guy? What's wrong with a little ambition? He wants to get sponsored and there's nothing wrong with that.

I always thought this forum's reputation was that of a nice bunch of people who helped new people. I'm sure this guy doesn't realistically think he's gonna get sponsored by a top company straight away, he just wants to know who some of the top companies are for reference.

yup. Seems like everyone here's a dickhead to the newcomers and they have this cult like following. Like, just because I joined like a month ago does not mean I'm a new fingerboarder. I've been fingerboarding for over 10 years yet you get all these teens who think they're apart of some high class clan or something because they've been a member longer than me. This goes the same for everyone else who is a new user, they get shit on because they have a later join date.

Obviously the guy who made this thread isn't right away going to get sponsored by a really good company like pure or love drug or anything like that, but I don't know why it's so hard for the users here to at least help him out a bit and tell him what he needs to know.

And it's also pretty damn annoying when, if someone like me were to post some crazy fucking mini or montage or something that was awesome, that the kids who are "known" still get all the praise (no matter how shitty their deck/video/whatever may be) because people know them. I just don't understand this cult mentality where you have to like earn these people's respect or something. If anyone actually wants me to earn their respect they can fuck off and I'll go somewhere else.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just very disappointed with this community and thought it could have been better than what it is.
I'm not so much a dickhead to newcomers as I am people that just try to get free stuff from me, let alone people who've never even once tried my decks. It just gets old when I have people constantly trying to haggle with me for one of my decks like I'm from Pawn Stars or have my email be flooded with spam emails, have me see a email from a real person to then only read it's them asking to be sponsored. I'm not even sure if half the people are asking because it's not like they take time to write me because all the emails consist of are "hey I'm soso, 14 years old from Canada sponsor me*inserts youtube link*. I get what it's like to not have money and it really does suck but it doesn't give people a right to attempt to get free things when it's not the right time or place. I'm by no means rich so I'm open to bargaining but it really does get old when people just don't want to pay you for your hard work. You make decks so you should understand the work that goes into them and that it isn't as easy as it might come across to people. I've actually had to delete an instagram picture because some kid would not give up on trying to talk me down to $10 per deck. I even offered him a deal for two decks and he still insisted that he would try and talk me down after I told him to stop. After that he told me my decks were worth $5 and he was just trying to give me business. I'd bet money I wasn't the first person he did this to and that he was just trying to low ball as many people as he could.

So if you really want my honest advice to getting sponsored all I have to say is this. Talk to people because you actually want to get to know them. Don't mention sponsors or anything like that until you've got to know them and you actually feel like you want to represent them. Also supporting them doesn't just mean making videos for them, if you really want to support a brand in any hobby you enjoy, actually buy stuff and put money in their pockets so they can continue their work. Some people forget that being part of a team isn't just receiving free stuff and it isn't free for us to send you "free" decks either. What you should do is get involved in not only the community here but also the youtube community so people get to know you.

Example email I've gotten.

_________________
Back to top Go down
woob
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
avatar

Posts : 1305
Join date : 2013-05-22
Age : 27
Location : ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Companies : woob
Setup : woob


PostSubject: Re: Sponsors   Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:50 am

k den

_________________

stay cozy~
Back to top Go down
http://youtube.com/zmwoob
Gabe fingerboarding
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
avatar

Posts : 1081
Join date : 2013-05-25
Age : 18
Location : Seattle Washington U.S.A
Setup :


PostSubject: Re: Sponsors   Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:05 am

Fb4fun (cool to see someone from WA by the way)

_________________

[10:55:57] SiCar : im an orgy baby
[22:46:00] Trent Witcher : giraffe shart dominance theory and application 101

My youtube
skate channel
www.brutalfingerboards.bigcartel.com
www.catfishbbq.com
References for Gabe Fingerboarding
Back to top Go down
Melvin A Thomas
Part of the Furniture
Part of the Furniture
avatar

Posts : 3129
Join date : 2011-11-04
Age : 20
Location : london,uk
Companies : fingerboarding, robotic studies
Setup : Pure,tec deck independant trucks 32mm, susbatance Classic Reloaded.




PostSubject: Re: Sponsors   Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:16 am

Locked. afro 
Back to top Go down
milk
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
avatar

Posts : 342
Join date : 2014-06-02
Location : nj
Setup : califingers
creamy goo
tdlb
oak wheels

PostSubject: Re: Sponsors   Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:28 am

Ryan wrote:

I'm not so much a dickhead to newcomers as I am people that just try to get free stuff from me, let alone people who've never even once tried my decks. It just gets old when I have people constantly trying to haggle with me for one of my decks like I'm from Pawn Stars or have my email be flooded with spam emails, have me see a email from a real person to then only read it's them asking to be sponsored. I'm not even sure if half the people are asking because it's not like they take time to write me because all the emails consist of are "hey I'm soso, 14 years old from Canada sponsor me*inserts youtube link*. I get what it's like to not have money and it really does suck but it doesn't give people a right to attempt to get free things when it's not the right time or place. I'm by no means rich so I'm open to bargaining but it really does get old when people just don't want to pay you for your hard work. You make decks so you should understand the work that goes into them and that it isn't as easy as it might come across to people. I've actually had to delete an instagram picture because some kid would not give up on trying to talk me down to $10 per deck. I even offered him a deal for two decks and he still insisted that he would try and talk me down after I told him to stop. After that he told me my decks were worth $5 and he was just trying to give me business. I'd bet money I wasn't the first person he did this to and that he was just trying to low ball as many people as he could.

So if you really want my honest advice to getting sponsored all I have to say is this. Talk to people because you actually want to get to know them. Don't mention sponsors or anything like that until you've got to know them and you actually feel like you want to represent them. Also supporting them doesn't just mean making videos for them, if you really want to support a brand in any hobby you enjoy, actually buy stuff and put money in their pockets so they can continue their work. Some people forget that being part of a team isn't just receiving free stuff and it isn't free for us to send you "free" decks either. What you should do is get involved in not only the community here but also the youtube community so people get to know you.

Example email I've gotten.
http://i39.servimg.com/u/f39/14/73/77/68/email210.png

Oh yes I've gone through this before. Back in like 2008 I had a company that started off sponsoring people. I sponsored like 3 people though youtube because they were pretty good and I sent them decks and tape and some nice stuff. It really sucks though when they just don't give a shit and don't even make a video for me about my company and basically "steal" in a sense from me in that they just take my deck and tell me to fuck off. I must say though my decks back then were not fabulous but I did work very very hard on them to make them as best as I could. I wasted my time and money on giving to someone for free.

Now, I don't sponsor anymore and haven't sponsored since that incident 6 years ago but I still have faith that perhaps someone who really supports me and/or my decks (if/when I sell them) can get some free stuff for their effort too.

I mean I sometimes come across these companies who are brand new and holding tryouts to get sponsored by them and I can't help but feel bad that what happened to me will happen to those new company owners.

P.S. Your decks are incredible and worth a hell of a lot more than the $10 he offered.

ALSO: Since when was Instagram so popular with fingerboarding? I haven't been around for a few years so Instagram wasn't invented yet, but now it seems like everyone uses Instagram. Kinda interesting how things change like that.

_________________
Back to top Go down
Sk8orDie7
FBHQ Beginner
FBHQ Beginner
avatar

Posts : 137
Join date : 2014-06-25
Age : 16
Location : Issaquah, Washington
Companies : Flip Club FB Crew
Setup : P-REP 32MM BASIC COMPLETE - ZEBRA



PostSubject: Re: Sponsors   Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:32 am

Hey, to all the people who are like, fingerboarding is for fun, nothing else, I completely agree, and I just wanted to be sponsored just for fun. I will not be gay and go on websites saying, sponsor me, please, please, please, please!!!!!!!! That would be annoying to them and very rude. All I will do is submit a video, if they say yes, thats cool, if they say no, no big deal. I'm not into fingerboarding for the reasons you guys think I am. Its all just fun to me. Just putting that out there so there is no more hate.  happy happy happy 

_________________
king King Of Chill king

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrZ0cqC8VKyAJ2AP2TE86Ag/feed?activity_view=3

bom Flip Club FB Crew bom
Back to top Go down
K-A12
Blossoming FBHQer
Blossoming FBHQer
avatar

Posts : 258
Join date : 2013-05-12
Location : California
Companies : 1-UP Fingerboards
Setup : 1-UP 33.5mm
Brts wide silver
Flatface clear blem z wheels with one brr edition gold
Wc bushings teal

PostSubject: Re: Sponsors   Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:38 am

I actaully heard if you say please and thank you and tell them you were backwardz (has to be spelled with a z) hatz then you can get on any team
Back to top Go down
GunnerBoser
Trade Moderator
avatar

Posts : 3363
Join date : 2012-01-12
Age : 19
Location : Little Falls, Minnesota - USA
Companies : O.G. Decks
Setup : Tech deck flip with super slippy fome tape
Freestyle fb super whels
Hot rod fb trucks wit my bushin I made

PostSubject: Re: Sponsors   Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:07 am

K-A12 wrote:
I actaully heard if you say please and thank you and tell them you were backwardz (has to be spelled with a z) hatz then you can get on any team

jokes over bud tongue

_________________



Ryan wrote:
"We're havin a little liability issue with the glow sticks....y'all are throwin them and y'all are peggin little kids.."

Click for more
Spoiler:
 

Danny H wrote:
Gunner's eyebrows are genuinely threatening.

Refs: http://www.fingerboardhq.net/t18128-references-for-gunnerboser#279427
Back to top Go down
http://Facebook.com/dances.with.chickens
George Alexander
FBHQ Regular
FBHQ Regular
avatar

Posts : 678
Join date : 2012-05-02
Age : 102
Location : GRATATA
Companies : GRATATA
Setup : GRATATA

PostSubject: Re: Sponsors   Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:53 am

GunnerBoser wrote:
K-A12 wrote:
I actaully heard if you say please and thank you and tell them you were backwardz (has to be spelled with a z) hatz then you can get on any team

jokes over bud tongue

shut down
Back to top Go down
Jared
Constant FBHQer
Constant FBHQer
avatar

Posts : 1112
Join date : 2013-11-29
Age : 17
Location : Connecticut
Companies : birdslayer
Setup : birdslayer / creamy goo
brt
ff brr ed

woob rlx / creamy goo
brt / wc
winkler big daddyz

PostSubject: Re: Sponsors   Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:18 am

milk wrote:
HightekFB wrote:
milk wrote:
kThumb wrote:
milk wrote:
Sorry for the rant, I'm just very disappointed with this community and thought it could have been better than what it is.

It's just because of the topic, propably everyone is sick of it. I also don't understand why Kids are so hyped about getting a sponsor, it sometimes seems like they think FBing a proper job or something.
Imo the FBHQ community is helpful and patient in any other case, especially compared to other forums.

Regarding videos: i can only speak for myself, but maybe that also applies to others - i don't have the time to watch every video people keep posting all day long. I watch maybe 2-3 vids and spend the rest of the time with FBing. You can't judge anyone if he prefers to watch videos from ppl he knows.

The videos thing was just an example. But in general, people who post their shitty decks or something get praise just because people know them. No one wants to try out new companies. Everyone here is a fucking woob fanboy and it's like this community doesn't like anything new.

You know why kids want sponsors? Because they want free shit because they don't have the money you have to afford retarded $200 setups. They don't have jobs or anything like that. You can't just start fucking with a little kid because he wants to have fun while fingerboarding. They're most likely not going to get sponsored but give them a damn chance.

And you could say that FBHQ is the most friendly community because there are no other communities as active as this one. FFI is dead, the reddit community barely gets any posts, and hell, this community only has like 3,000 users which is a tiny amount.

Face it, fingerboarding is dying and everyone here can't accept that.

I honestly just fingerboard while I'm doing other shit on the computer because it's pretty fun, but people take this shit way too fucking seriously. These kids just want to have fun and get into the hobby they love, so why can't you let them do that? Because you're older and fingerboarding has the be the most important thing in your life?

woob fanboys eh? maybe you would be happy if we all jizzed ourselves over milk decks? would that make you happy? Fingerboarding isn't dying, but if kids keep asking for people to sponsor them, then it will. They ruin all the fun that fingerboarding is meant for.. They start fingerboarding and a week later their mom buys them a broken knuckle, so then they think that they can go off spamming people asking them to fucking sponsor them. I don't even have a company and 3 fucking people have asked me to sponsor them. These kids want to show off, they don't give a flying fuck about actually fingerboarding - they just want to look cool because they are sponsored.

first, I don't even sell my decks. Second, you're 13 years old. I wonder where you got that money to buy all those woobs you go insane about -- most likely your parents. You also have to note that these people aren't made of money and get money handed to them -- like you. You clearly are privileged and have all this shit because you have parents who buy it for you. People want sponsors because they don't have that kind of money and cannot afford nice decks and fancy cameras.

Actually, I buy all that stuff on my own. You see, my whole life I've had hobbies that never required spending money, so any money I had from birthdays was saved.. Also, I had my bar mitzvah a month ago and got over 3000 dollars. Also there is a thing called trading, don't know if you've heard of it. My parents don't buy fingerboard things for me, I don't need them to. So with that I leave you with a fuck off

_________________
Rest in peace LeisureLife.

Back to top Go down
Mikkel S
Moderator
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 3747
Join date : 2011-09-20
Age : 26
Location : Denmark
Setup :

PostSubject: Re: Sponsors   Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:31 am

Ok.. This thread went a bit out of hand, got almost back on track, but its probably time for a lock.


I'm going to adress a few things first though.

When i joined FBHQ a few years ago the trademark of the forum was a welcoming atmosphere. I would really love to see that again, so if people could stop bitching to new people that would be pleased.

I think Milk gave an honest view on how it can feel to join this forum and i think it is something we as a community should work at.


I agree that kids getting sponsored by shitty companies and the whole sponsor hype is one of the things that make fingerboarding a little less awesome, but i don't think acting like a dick is whats gonna solve it.

And Hightek, please watch your language.

_________________

Xi wrote:
maybe i just ride much tighter than other people and its just deformed

All the haters wanna be me
Back to top Go down
 

Sponsors

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Fingerboard HQ :: Fingerboarding Discussion :: Fingerboarding Discussion & News-